View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I don't want to pick on Bob Dobush, I've considered him a friend for many years, and he is very valuable to Steve, the museum, and our hobby.

But we sure could use the space he uses for storage in the auction room so that there would be room for everyone to sit down and stay out of the way. We all know the room is too small, perhaps now we'll finally all realize that it's time to do something about it.

Four basic things would improve the warehouse situation. They cost money, and time, but probably beneficial overall:

1. Industrial style pallet racks. Abundant, but not free, on CL. As a 501c3, attracting corporate donations is possible. Locating around the perimeter would probably clear almost all the floorspace.

2. Clean pallets for organization of equipment by type, owner, long-term, item-for-auction, etc. Free is possible, but time is still needed. Not as space-efficient as existing dense-packing, but with four levels of storage where there currently is one, plus categorical organization, it's still a big plus.

3. Organization database that logs what is where (by clearly-marked pallet number), who owns it, etc. Basically free, minimal time once established.

4. Small forklift or pallet stacker/picker. Several options here. Donation possible but a longshot. Maintenance/charging expense. Insurance/training requirements possible. Abundant on CL, but have to be poised to move quickly when available.

I'm local, and regularly run across stuff like this on CL. Can advise of availability, coordinate/execute purchase and delivery, but not finance.
Not in the position to seek out donations of goods, however; but I can recognize them if I learn of them.

I do think changing up the storage system would greatly improve free space, but the ever-present danger is having that space collect more stuff. The discipline is deciding what should be collected.

The fenced-in area out back would also be prime for shipping container storage if zoning allows. Plus the museum could rent out capacity to space-challenged collectors, and possibly, as a value-add, accept shipments and store for absentee collectors. This would be for money, not for free. (Insurance would be on the collector, not ETF.)

Caveat: These are probably not new ideas. I have not brought them up to Steve or anyone. They are probably also pipe dreams and can't be implemented for a wide variety of reasons. But a man can dream, can't he?

On edit, just to keep it all in one place...

On rackmount gear, best is to store it in racks. I actually have a few I can donate for this. (They're presentable enough for display, too.) Plus, it's the kind of thing I often run across people trying to get rid of, free. But I usually need to answer quickly, so 'pre-approval' would be good.

Last edited by Chip Chester; 05-08-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Additional pearl of alleged wisdom.