View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Bed time listening in a quiet room is when the hum really drives me nuts. Any of my AA5s sound great during the day but unless it has an additional stage of power supply filtering, like some of the early 60s AM/FM sets do, hum is clearly obvious at night when volume is way down low and the house is silent. For this reason some of my favourite AA5 radios are the little cheap Japanese ones with a 3" speaker.. It just can't reproduce any hum due to high resonant frequency of the speaker.

How does it sound during the day time with the volume turned up a little?

This deaf SWL AA4 radio may replaced for use by a far better sounding and tuning AA6 class (AA6) H 500 Zenith Transoceanic when I finish that yet to acquire project radio and this cam just be a mid century bauble in here which it is far better suited for since day one when it was made

pfftt....you know its basically nearly & literally 1936 AA5 radio or no ?

[/B]
All over room has elevated FIXED hum (you know what that is? ) add in thd+n or not it sounds poor beyond the mean and average (<<that is self explanatory engineering - research language "mean and average " BTW and @ any loudness 24/7 IOW ....its broke even.for these radios

If you will note my studies and education further back 6 years electronics and EE studies consecutively & much more recent digital audio codec and psycho acoustic studies + PhD peer reviewed research collaboration around all that, (5 + years there) this issue would be settled or I can bring in any number of nationally prominent PhD and recording industry luminary's or a nationally prominent EE + PhD too (<<<dude has more brains than a person should have ) most of these luminary's mentored our group studies + our research projects to explain all this to you if you like .

SRSLY at that level it could be academically and argumentatively BRUTAL for Month's on end and it often was like that , not High school >not Audio Karma> not ignorant snob audio we ridicule or the prominent snob audio pundits and editors we justifiably ridiculed unmercifully or never cheer leading it was knock down drag out scientific research and >> NOT COGNITIVE BIAS or SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS EVER just verifiable and repeatable DATA

BTW some of the labels ,S.E.'s ,mixers and perhaps coders use our results but its not a new wheel invention or a new codec it is something subtle likely you don't understand and it has to do with the usual lower Nyquist rates , digital artifacts , noise floors and dynamic range like any digital content or production or media specific mix like commercial CD ,24 bit studio masters CD replication mix ,club mix ,hires mix or steaming music &

^^^^ The above is in use here in the THX PM3 Pro digital content creation studio for our projects albums ,beats and catalogs s

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-16-2017 at 10:37 AM.