View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Too soon to think about finding it a new home already, but I'll keep your offer in mind.

There's an earlier console on the 'bay right now over in St. Louis with a BIN of $900. Hmm...

Upon inspection, model is 21C626B* on mine. All knobs are present, with no major scratches on the control panel. Back panel is complete and undamaged, with the CRT protector cone is un-smashed. Haven't had the back off yet, but all the screws are there and original. There's a glass panel for the bottom shelf, which has a printed grass motif, and it's complete and un-chipped.

I'm interested to discover what the "picture/prompter" switch does. Likely not a teleprompter reference...

The cabinetry shows some signs of being in an attic for 30 years or so. Some water damage, but from flower pots or glass condensation, not a continuous exposure to water. No veneer separation; basic refinishing should suffice. It's the blond rift-sawn oak version, not the mahogany one (dang.) But a good match for my Seeburg Select-O-Matic 200 changer: (Not my specific unit, but my resto-inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1uJfo85suM )

The brass edging on cabinet and HaloLight edge is clean, un-dented, and shiny. No spots of corrosion. HaloLight lens itself is un-cracked and clean except for one smudge. No associated abrasion though. Stand is also clean and secure. Might be missing the 'feet' at the very bottom though.

Grille cloth still has the sparkly thread throughout, and is un-ripped but also un-glued along some edges.

Haven't plugged anything in yet. Variac and DBT are at hand.
Tube itself looks clean, un-scratched, with no visible internal issues. I'll have to locate a Columbus-area CRT tester/rejuvenator, as I don't have one.

*("with HaloLight", which by the way is the earliest case I've noticed of "CamelCase" typography: capital letters within a compound word, as popularized by the computer/software industry. Note that "earliest case" is entirely ancedotal, and not researched in any way...)

In addition to the HaloLight inclusion, the cabinet is one of the main attractions on this TV. Especially the sliding top hiding the controls. It'll make feeding the fish so much easier... <--- note obligatory emoji for the sarcasm-impaired.

Chip

Last edited by Chip Chester; 12-29-2017 at 10:54 AM.