View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I'm glad you mentioned that. The bottom trim piece on my CTC-7 has a couple of little dents, and I was wondering how to deal with them. I just trotted out to the shop and confirmed that the top piece is perfect. Problem solved!

Phil Nelson
I use a spoon shaped dental tool from the back side of the brass trim piece. Place the front side of the brass trim against a hard flat surface like your kitchen counter top. Use the spoon shaped dental tool to press against the brass and move back and forth over the dent to to flaten out the dent against the hard counter top. This brass is very thin and is easily formed back into place with a small amount of pressure from the back side. This is a method similar to the way auto body mechanics straighten a dent using a dolly and a planishing hammer. The counter becomes the dolly and the dental spoon is your hammer (but you don't hammer you just apply pressure and slide the spoon back and forth)

I was able to almost completely remove 2 small dents with this methodology, and you have to look very closely now to find them.

Good Luck!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com