View Single Post
Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Well, it's usually 100 ignition key cycles to clear the codes. Just go back to AZ and tell them to clear the codes for you. Hopefully that takes care of the first code.

Sadly, the fan is where these motors start getting weird. It's a hybrid of an old school belt-driven thermostatic clutch fan, AND an electric fan. If I recall correctly, it's an electronic duty-cycle based fan clutch. (It's really stupid.) Don't think I've ever come across a bad one, though. If the code specifies it's lost the fan speed signal, either the fan isn't turning at all or the computer isn't getting the speed signal from the sensor in the fan. The wiring and plug should be on the drivers side of the fan shroud. Dig in there, unplug the plug for it and examine the pins and wires for corrosion. Gently tug on the wires on the back of each side of the plug to check if they're broken inside the insulation. If thats all shipshape, you'll probably need to replace the fan clutch, $112 on rockauto.com. If you want to get really into the nitty-gritty electronical diagnosis - which, you're here, so - you can put an O-scope across 2 of the 5 wires and you should get the speed wave while the fan is turning. I've never looked up the wiring on that, but 5 wires tells me: 2 for duty cycle command, 3 for speed sensor. 3 = pos, neg, and signal. A digital 3 wire sensor will need power to work (5, 8, or 12v) and make a square wave, so you'll have to test while it's on the car and while it's running, unless you feel like completely removing it and hooking it up to a power supply on your workbench, and spinning it (usually 100rpm or higher to register). But it can be done.

As for evap... it's a lot easier when you have a real good scanner and a smoke machine... but just off the top of my head, it's probably the vent solenoid valve at the back of the car. Most common problem, anyway. You can unplug it and apply 12v to see if it operates or not. Unless you just left the gas cap loose on one of those fillups.
The price of those scanners for OBC2 came down, since I bought mine. Owning a newer car and doing your own work, it's really a good investment. You can also use it the clear the codes, as well.