Thread: P & M session
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I saw a video fairly recently on the pitfalls of new cars, the "infotainment" system being one of them. One may as well be learning a whole new operating system when dealing with those things, I don't think anything about them is standardized.

I recall riding in someone's late-model piece of crap and wondering "where's the bloody ignition key?" The owner uses a USB stick with the stereo and brags about how many songs it can hold. Mom seemed impressed by it but I was thinking something like "Yeah, so?"

I just modded an AM-FM-8 track car stereo for use as my computer's sound system, sounds pretty good too. I didn't want to permanently modify the stereo's case so I gutted and cut down a bad VHF tuner; I thought it ideal as it already had RCA jacks and the hole in the back fit perfectly over the volume control shaft. A micro-mini DPDT switch fit nicely between the stereo's case and the attachment. As for power I just tapped the 12V rail in my computer.
I'm really spoiled with the keyless entry and the keyless ignition. My old Prius and the newer one has it.
All you have to do is keep the fob in your pocket, touch the driver's door handle and it unlocks. Push button on dash, put it in drive or reverse and go. The engine starts itself. The engine shuts down when waiting for one of the painfully long traffic lights.