View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Woo-hoo! The new switches worked.

The replacements will fit the PC board holes diagonally if you turn them 45 degrees and snip off opposing leads. I also had to bend the leads slightly inward to fit the holes. They have a slightly shallower body and a longer shaft than the originals, which makes them a little taller, overall.

I was afraid the new switches would be too tight vertically, so I skimmed a bit off the shaft ends with a Dremel tool.

I won't pretend it was easy to install these teeny switches and get everything back together, but with patience it all got done. The red arrows point to the new switches; note the diagonal placement.

Now, all four switches are operational. I can select low/high/UHF, turn the channel indicator on/off, and choose channel up/down in auto tuning mode. Pretty fun! I had never been able to use auto tuning before, so it was gratifying to see that kick in.

I'll eventually write an article for my website showing the process with some additional photos.

Thanks again to WISCOJIM, Electronic M, and NoPegs for their great advice, and especially for the free parts!

Jim mailed me 8 extra switches, and I doubt I'll ever need the extras. (I don't like repeating projects, and cramped PC boards are not my favorite thing to work on.) If anyone else would like some switches, send me a PM and I'll be happy to pass 'em along.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html