View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luRaichu View Post
Dude, R804 has got to go. It's clearly gone sour and is probably bringing a supply line or component up too high.
I think he just meant in general you don't have to test every single resistor. If you test a bunch that look okay, then usually all of them in the same area and/or of the same type will be okay. The main thing to look out for is burned or otherwise darkened areas on the PCB or the resistors themselves. Usually newer resistors (post 1960s or so) don't go bad unless they burn up.

I will add to that, resistors can have corrosion on them like rusted legs that can go inside the package and ruin them, and that's not always visually obvious from the outside. Also, resistors can burn up partially and you won't be able to see it from the outside either.

Just check anything that looks weird and anything close to a heat source like a transistor mounted to a heatsink or smaller resistors that are next to larger power resistors that are meant to get hot

Quote:
I could not find a replacement for the one bipolar 3.3µF @ 160v cap that lives in the H circuit. They just don't make bipolar caps with that kind of voltage tolerance anymore.
It's possible to create a bipolar cap from two polar caps. Do a google search for the way to do it