View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 3.5" thing called Digital Prism. Found it at CVS for $29. I know why. You need to almost be able to touch the tower for ATSC only reception. Little whip, OTA only. No F connector. Pic is ____. Fill in the blank and not kindly.

I also have a RCA RTV86073 7" that is a great performer. Still needs to be near a good signal. ATSC or NTSC. Very sharp pic. Better than most. Has a little detachable magnetic base whip for the F connector. Cable and air scanning. I use it at home scanned for cable for when the power goes out. Cable around here usually keeps working for 8 hours or so until the trunk line batteries give out.

And I have the Radio Shack 7". No wonder they are not selling them. They make Coby look good.

Compucat is right. Delivery is going to eventually be only on rightsholder controled mediums. Phones, tablets, etc. via streaming. The concept of channels is going to go away. Tv broadcasting may not be the same in a few years not to mention our miniature BPC's.

Consider the words from Stewart Brand, author of the Whole Earth Catalog written in 1985 and again in his book about the MIT Media lab in 1987;

"Information wants to be free. Information also wants to be expensive. Information wants to be free because it has become so cheap to distribute, copy, and recombine – too cheap to meter. It wants to be expensive because it can be immeasurably valuable to the recipient. (And to the owner. Dave A observation given the current state). That tension will not go away. It leads to endless wrenching debate about price, copyright, 'intellectual property', the moral rightness of casual distribution, because each round of new devices makes the tension worse, not better."

While we wrestle with copying a CD and what we can download and the laws that prevail, Brand did this 26 years ago. Sarnoff is kicking himself for not thinking of this in 1935.

Last edited by Dave A; 06-03-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: illumination