View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Most consoles of mid to higher quality (heck even some of the cheapies) usually sound great.

Be aware that this unit is creeping up on 60 being years old. The paper and electrolytic capacitors may still be good. but they go bad with age, use (worse yet extended disuse), and storage conditions...You should consider replacing the capacitors on the amp and tuner chassis. Also the rubber on the changer (motor mounts and idler wheel) can go bad from age too if the motor spins but the platter won't, won't at the right speed or there is regular rumble overtaking the audio there may be bad rubber. The cartridge and styli, as well as tubes may also wear out.

It may be fine now, but vintage electronics just like vintage cars, only survive multiple decades of use through periodic maintenance.
Thanks for the tips! I’m retiring in a couple months and this is going to be a winter project for me. I have a lot to learn but fortunately three generations of engineers in the family who have offered to help. If you looked at the photos, mine has a little darker finish but very few blemishes for a vintage cabinet. I have not had a decent stereo for over 10 years but this makes up for it. Top of the line? No, but a very nice sound and especially for the age.