View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

While I have had good luck with the ol' copper cactus jpole, for 2 meters/70cm I run a Comet GP9 with the tip at 72 feet. Works great.

My experience with low mounted verticals is that they can be noisy and that while there are workarounds there is no substitute for real ground radials and plenty of them. Efficiency usually suffers. I'm glad to see the one you are looking at recommends feeding with ladder line. One realization I have been coming to is that coax works best with a resonant antenna but you are better off with ladder line for multi-band antennas. This is because coax is lossier at high SWRs and ladder line isn't. It will tune up fine but that don't mean you are getting watts out into the air where you want it.

Haven't played with my new loop on 20M much yet as I just got it up. However if it performs as well as it does on 80m and 40m I think it is going to be pretty good. And with 8 full wavelengths and the height it is at I expect it will do really well. It does take a lot of room though and took some work getting it up there.