View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
One of these daze, before I shake off this mortal coil,I HOPE I can beg, borrow, steal or whatever a 40-50' Rohn tower & mount my FM a top it. Right here in Greater Bugtussle, we have almost boresight from almost Atlanta to almost Roanoke, Virginia. There was an FM antenna atop my gran's apartment, I hooked it up to a 4.5" color TV/AM/FM all in wonder & FM was one solid signal one end of the spectrum to the other..TV, too,was "Blow Yer Mind" bunch of stuff I'd never seen before. Dunno how it would be now, never have tried Over the Air w/this new system... I've always, too, wanted to sneak down to Knoxville, & hook up one of the boatanchors to the WBIR TV antenna- It WAS the tallest thing in the World for a few months 1963-65...
The old WBIR tower is now home to 103.5 FM. A friend of mine is the engineer there, and he also has a 2 meter and a 6 meter repeater on that tower. The 6 meter one has great coverage, but not much towards Rodgersville because the antenna is on the opposite side of the tower. I believe the repeater antennas are 1500' above average terrain.
I bet it would still be fun-W/the exception of lugging a 100 lb Boartanchor around that hill. Dreamed of hookin' up to WBIR ever since they built it... From what I've heard, however, it never quite fulfilled their hopes for it. Often, WBIR would barely come in, but WEZK or WIVK would boom in like there was no tomorrow. .They never bragged on WIMZ, 103.5, it usually does pretty good, too. Always heard another lovely tale-a certain way, w/the wind blowing just right, the guy wires will just sing & sing, & sing. Sposed to be kinda creepy the 1st few times you hear it..

Last edited by Sandy G; 08-31-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Audiokarma