Thread: Wavetek 183
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Bob,

Just don't ever place a direct short across the output - the output transistors are a complimentary pair, and the PNP type (a 2N5160) is expensive and getting harder to find. Agilent (formerly HP) still stocks them under their own part number, but at 45 bucks each. I've got several Wavetek generators - function, sweep, and even a rack mounted unit that outputs in microhertz - 10,000 second pulse widths are possible! It is all discrete, with differential amplifier pairs and funky precision resistors (13,440 ohms, and 33,210 ohms are but two wierd values).

I used to power up either a Wavetek 183 or 145 to impress folks - lissajous patterns on the scope, jamming AM, or driving a speaker directly - they can even light light bulbs - lots of gusto! Wavetek also simplified things by avoiding specialty part numbers - lots of common semiconductor parts!

PS - i've got several PDFs for Waveteks, and probably have the 183 too. My years as a calibration tech taught me to never pass up a service manual, paper, or PDF. There's a "Manual_Exchange" Yahoo! group that can save you some bucks if you need a manual - I've offered up a few to some in the group, but I've never needed - yet.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!