View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jon,

My grandparents actually owned a total of 3 Zenith color sets from the 60's. My dad's family was (obviously) quite wealthy to have owned 3 color tv sets in the 60's. Sundays were the day to be there, football games on 3 screens and the best fried chicken you could get in the North. They made their money in the rental-housing business (owned a trailer park). They lost one of their sets in '72 when a tenant stumbled in drunk on rent day, fell against the set and crushed the neck of the CRT against the wall. The other two lasted until 1980 and 1981 respectively when one set's picture tube finally quit and the other developed power supply problems that their repairman said weren't worth fixing. Two of the 3 were identical and the other had a different cabinet (two looked like mine, one looked like yours). I was just starting to learn to repair color sets then, so they gave me the 3 sets to see if I could make one good one out of them in 1982. I salvaged the good crt and put it in the set with the working chassis. A few days after I got a picture on it, my dad snapped the neck off the tube because my overprotective mom was afraid I'd get hurt working with those old sets. Needless to say I was less than pleased. I've been restoring tv sets semi-professionally for years. I started doing vintage electronics full-time five months ago. My parents are amazed that I'm actually making a decent living with this.

John