View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Interesting .....

I am an old guy and not all that computer savvy . Some years ago , i noticed that every time "Java" updated itself , my computer ran slower (still using a laptop I paid $3K for in 2006) . I did the restore disk , and then selected to turn off ALL automatic updating , deciding myself with the help of a computer savvy friend which program actually needs to be updated or not . So , I've had java demanding to be allowed an update for about the last 5 or 6 years now and in no way will I allow that to be "updated" into slowing my computer down with it's hidden script BS . It's funny , the big "YOUR DATA COULD BE AT RISK !!!!!" screen I get from them , I then click on "cancel java update" and my computer still runs as new .

PS , yes I DO use an adblocker with firefox and no , I do NOT feel one bit guilty , I have been literally bombarded by intelligence insulting vapid advertising for better than 60 odd years now , and I believe I've seen quite enough of it to last TWO lifetimes .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I'm old enough to have seen a lot of commercials on cable when it was still worth watching, and besides, I rarely buy anything new so there's no point in my viewing ads to begin with.

I'm using an old HP-Compaq microtower from about 2006-7 which *could* have been a good machine had HP not deliberately crippled it, i.e. by rigging the PCIe x16 slot so it can't use a graphics accelerator card. Oh well, I got a free Lenovo a little while back with a useful PCIe x16 slot that can take 16 gigs of RAM so I'll build that one up as I can.

By the way I also use NoScript Security Suite but it's kind of a pain as I have to manually whitelist scripts on almost every site I use. Once all those I use regularly are covered it's all right though. Sometimes I can't see or use something on a site and don't know what's blocking it; in that case I just go over to Chrome.
Yes.TV is loaded with ads and they are more cutting into program run time as ever before.I got ABP running on Chrome too.I can see the advertisers freak out if there was a full ban of these scripts online.Thank goodness for ABP and other ad blockers.So long to Google Ads,Adchoices ETC. Forums and other websites got to make cash and not load up users computers with rubbish. I still get this annoying Shockwave Flash error on some websites with FF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MWSnap1383 2017-07-27, 14_34_23jk.jpg (51.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by centralradio; 08-26-2017 at 11:25 PM.