View Single Post
Old 04-16-2022, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Does the phono input work? perhaps there was a good reason the plug was changed so that the phono could be plugged into the tuner input.

jr
It seems to, when I hook the phono cable into the phono input and touch the ground lead it does hum.

Apparently when I went to remove the record changer from the cabinet the unit does indeed have its original record changer, but its been modified, the record changer used in this unit is a Webster-Chicago (Webcor) record changer model 256-19 which used its own unique cartridge assembly that had a flip over needle that selection of the proper side of the cartridge/needle was done via a lever on the back of the tone-arm (which that is what's missing/modified on my unit) they replaced the original cartidge (which I'm guessing was probably a high output crystal cartridge of the 3v variety,) which would explain the modification for inputting the phono output into the tuner input rather than the phono input, because the more modern 1V ceramic cartridge like the Sonotone 2T that they used to replace the original cartridge wasn't loud enough to play through the original phono input.

See picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnavox Record Changer Tag.jpg (44.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-17-2022 at 02:02 AM.