View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanmanor View Post
Same here
Dittos!!

I own a 13" 1985 or 1986 model Sony that is the "kitchen" Tv. it has the usual "trinitron" quality picture to it. It is digital tune and remote(but the remote is long gone, and who needs a remote for a kitchen tv anyway??) My mother mainly watches it when she wants to watch the news or something, and my sister has the projo in the family room tied up (which is most of the time). It had a bad regulator IC in it about 9 years ago, when I fixed it and put it in there. A"no cost" set, like all of my other sets.

I have a 1992 32" RCA CONSOLE tv in my bedroom, as my "daily driver". I got it about 3.5 years ago, when I worked for CC, it was a "junk" pick up for some sucker who bought some shitty new tv(which has probably died by now..)It is the WONDERFUL CTC 169 chassis, which was the last "good" RCA set made. (The last "OK" set RCA made was the CTC-195/197 series, last made in about 2001.) As is nearly always the case--the CRT is perfect, and the set needed only about $5 worth of caps and a diode to fix(some of which I did as PM for future problems), and I watch it daily, for all of my needs. ALL OSD operation,. S-video and composite inputs, PIP and all--and it was FREE too!! Since it is a 169 parts are VERY easy to get--and will be for a long time to come.

And the Projo is also a CTC 169 RCA sst, that I picked up a couple of months before I got the RCA console in 2004. It was a "shopping" find, and replaced a 1987 RCA projo model that was strarting to lose parts that are getting hard to find. It gets from 8-14 hours of use a DAY, from my sister--but the tubes STILL look wonderful!! Like the other CTC-169--parts are plentiful and will continue to be so, on the rare occasion that something fails.

So no, I own NO LCD or other NT-type sets for my normal watching. the ONLY non-CRT sets I have are my litle handheld LCD sets, (I have 3, one a 1986 model and a 1995 TFT model, both color, and a 1983 model BW lcd set)(the 2 older ones I got for "nostalgic" reasons for very little), and my portable DVD player I got last year about this time.