Thread: Radio Jay Allen
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 02:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
For an inexpensive (under $150) multiband I recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. I've had one for nearly a decade and consider it to be a VERY good portable for SW and ham listening. At the time I bought it that radio was the best combo of features, performance, and price in The Passport to World Band Radio's reviews. It has matched or beat every other SW receiver, tube or solid state that I've owned.
Jay Allen doesn't share your love for the 7600GR, I've noticed for some time, but many SWLs seem to, and it is widely reported as being made in Japan to high standards of fit, finish and feel, with good unit-to-unit consistency. I'm trying to decide on a new hand-held likely next month, and I have included it among models I am considering. However, I am more interested in AM performance than with SW, so with that in mind, should I keep it on my list?

Another I am considering is the new Sangean ATS-405 (at half the price of the Sony) due to its reported AM superiority, and the ability to defeat it's DSP soft-muting. That seems more geared to the AM user, so may be all the radio I need. I already have CCraneEP and Sangean PR-D5 AM/FM-only models with outstanding AM performance, but they are full-sized, and I prefer something smaller for pulling in distant ball-games. For pure AM dxing the EP is hard to beat, imo and ime, but lunch-box style.

I have already ordered a Kaito AN-100 tuned loop which I intend to use with whatever hand-held I decide upon. Getting the right radio means more to me than the difference between $160 and $80. I've also considered the Eton Traveler III, Satellit, and CCrane Skywave. While SW is not my primary interest, if a radio provides good AM performance and a decent SWL experience, in a smaller form factor, then so much the better. My old Panasonic RB-40 doesn't seem to measure up on any band, but I'll be interested to see if the tuned loop gives it more life. Also have the cheap, diminutive Kaito WRX-911, a mere toy.

Too many choices; the build quality of your Sony does make it quite alluring against the backdrop of all these Chinese-made radios. I have a lot of respect for Jay, but he seems to rate the 7600GR much lower than most. Your remarks have placed it back onto my list bigtime, though if you have anything to add specifically about its AM performance, I'd be interested in that, too.

[Also, as a public service announcement, anyone interested in an old tube Transoceanic project that looks pretty decent for $40, should check the Mobile, AL Craigslist ads.]

Last edited by musichal; 10-01-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Audiokarma