View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
"It was suggested to me by someone in this thread that I consider using an ATSC-to-NTSC converter box with my Insignia 19" flat screen, which already has its own clear-QAM tuner. My question is simply this: Are the QAM tuners built into many if not most flat screens that terrible as far as RF sensitivity is concerned? "

Clear QAM tuners are only for unscrambled digital cable, not for over the air. QAM is not broadcast over the air, only ATSC 8-VSB. As most cable companies are taking to scrambling everything, there may not even be any clear QAM signals on your local cable system anymore.
My cable operator is Time Warner. To the best of my knowledge and belief, they have no intention at this time of scrambling everything on the cable, thereby forcing all subscribers to use a cable box ahead of the television to receive anything at all. (Comcast does require boxes now, and Time Warner would today as well if their merger with Comcast had materialized, which it did not.)

I have broadcast basic service (not digital). The cable connects directly to my VCR, which in turn is connected directly to the TV. There are no descrambler boxes or anything else, again to the best of my knowledge, between the cable coming into my apartment and the VCR. If there are such devices being used by the company, they are probably on the utility pole outside my apartment or hidden away in a junction box in the basement of the building. I'm sure Time Warner would have notified me by now if they had any intention whatsoever of scrambling absolutely everything, including broadcast channels.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.