View Single Post
Old 09-25-2023, 01:58 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain94 View Post
Interesting I was never sure about how the x-rays would radiate directionally as I do not know all that much about x-rays other than wanting to avoid them.

I was wondering about the CRT socket guide breaking as being a common issue. I am not sure if it just degraded from age or if someone was being too rough with it a long time ago.

Oh yeah that was one of the most annoying things about this tv, at first it appeared to be only one of the convergence inductors was in need of replacement as it was dangling like an unspooled ball of yarn and dangling. The plastic literally was so brittle that just barely touching it made chips fall off...later when taking the panel off a second convergence inductor spool also had its plastic brake. Luckily I have since managed to get them replaced and had a ton of confusion about how to install them direction wise as it was unclear. What is even more strange though is other plastic parts in the tv seems perfectly fine and sturdy as if brand new. I am suspecting the ones exposed more to the sun were the ones degrading. Maybe some of them had a different type of plastic?
The pin locators on rectangular color tubes were common failures the heat tends to degrade the plastic. It's especially bad on Japanese sets, but on domestic sets it tends to happen more on high hour tubes.
Whenever I encounter a dead CRT with a good plastic socket guide I tend to save the guide.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-26-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Audiokarma