View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 01:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I really fail to see what the point of all this discussion / contention is all about.
When it has been shown over and over again, (and there are many sites dedicated to this. ) that in the restoration of vintage electronics, decades old capacitors, electrolytic and paper, are inherently unreliable due to entropic degradation, and even though they may seem to work, they are like a time bomb waiting to go off, and best replaced with more modern ones which are smaller, and often will preform better and last longer than what is being replaced, especially if high tolerance long life type is used, and of slightly higher voltage range than the original.
And, as it has been pointed out more than once, these new caps can be stuffed into cans of the old, leaving the visual aesthetics unaffected, or, as in the case of my CTC-16XL, I just unhooked the old caps on the bottom, and placed the new ones various places under the chassis, from the top, you can't tell anything was replaced, and I chose the new caps very carefully, all high tolerance long life, if replacing 80uf @ 450v, I put in a 500v one, 20uf @ 250v = 300v , and so on.

It's MY choice not to risk things on old caps, and I'm sure others feel the same, but if you want to run your stuff with them, go right ahead!
Audiokarma