View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think the bottom line here is this ;

old capacitors are kinda like old people , some live a perfectly healthy life well into their 90s and some begin to seriously degrade starting in their 60s and don't make 70 . And when those people were young there really was no telling which would see the near century mark VS who'd be worm food by 60 . I'm sure there are those caps that'll live to a ripe old age performing their capacitor duties just fine without missing a beat just as there are plenty of them that are right now going to crap in 5 year old TVs , all the while their antique counterparts are still happily doing the cap thing without a whimper . It's luck of the draw , nothing more , and while I think it's great that those particular caps reformed well and came back to life I don't believe every , or maybe even every other , antique cap can be revived in such manner . As a cool experiment I think it's great that you had success but with the destructive nature of a shorted Ecap in mind I do systematically replace every one in any "daily driver" sets I run , just so that I can feel somewhat comfortable leaving them to run while I do things in other parts of the house without having to keep a literal eye on them

I , for one , am hoping to see your experiment run well into the hundreds of hours .....