View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 03:41 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
I think you're assuming members of this forum haven't tried this. I won't speak for any other old timer here, but I have tried it as I mentioned in an earlier comment. What I discovered was that it was hit or miss, and therefore a waste of time when your name goes on a repair. Your example, although very interesting, won't sway me at all.

The Andrea I'm working on has a lot more hours than yours (I'd guess it's well over a hundred twenty five hours since February) and 5 of the cans are still good operating fine, but history tells me that they're on bonus time. Using my own TV as an example, two cans were dead immediately, and two failed some 20-30 plus hours after it was running perfectly. The remaining 5 are still running fine at over a hundred hours. They're still coming out.

Sure, you can have capacitors work after 70 or more years, but proving a capacitor can work at 70 years and proving a capacitor can work for 15 hours a week for the next 10 years is another thing entirely.

I mentioned earlier that I'm restoring an 1850s reed organ melodeon. The leather exhauster is still working, but if don't replace the leather, how long will my wife be able to play the melodeon before the leather tears? 10 hours, 100 hours? Maybe she'll never put enough hours on it, but I'm replacing the leather anyway. Once this melodeon is finished, I don't want to ever take it apart again.

That's the point we're trying to make on this subject.

John
+1
I've also reformed and vetted lytics with my Heathkit and watched them fail after dozzens of hours of operation.

I've seen TVs and radios run on original caps and even keep a few that way as shelf queens that rarely get powered. Though even that isn't common since if I power on a display set and it dies on me it could be an embarrassment, and even if it isn't I rather feel confident I can grab anything off my shelf and run it as if I just bought it new without worry.

I put enough hours on my sets to go through certain tubes multiple times. Anything that will help put the next repair farther out into the future and let me tackle repairing something else or let me live my life away from the bench is worth doing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4