View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 02:13 AM
tube gear fanatic

. Case in point: In the '80s, I had a Zenith four-mode integrated stereo system with an FM section which pulled in every major Cleveland station in stereo just fine, using just the line cord antenna (I lived about 15 miles closer to Cleveland at the time). The AM reception, however, left an awful lot to be desired. During daylight hours I could get most of the major Cleveland AMs, but at night all but the big 50kW stations were all but inaudible. On top of that, the AM section in my stereo was, IMHO, so poorly designed that I was hearing shortwave at certain points on the AM dial after dark.

sounds like a all to common problem.most mfg of tuners that included am rarely paid attention to that band.there is a few like the philips ah673 that with a good signal can actually provide something worth listening to.my tu9900 is not too bad either for am but when push comes to shove i haul out my tube communication receivers that seem to pull the signals out of the mud when i want to do some serious dx'ing.
Quote:
I live about five miles from a 1kW (0.5kW or 500 watts nights) AM station that will appear at two points on the dial on my system's tuner, 0.9 MHz or 900 kHz apart--560 and 1460 kHz, the latter being the station's fundamental (assigned) frequency. Doesn't bother me, especially (or at all), as I don't listen to AM that much anyhow.
what your experiencing is imaging and is a indactor or the receiver to reject them.

real radios glow in the dark...
Audiokarma