Thread: AMC Eagle
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 08:44 PM
The Resident Brony

According to the vac schematic, the cruise actuator is the thing on the center, absolute bottom, called 'VAC. SW. ASM.' Which at first made me think 'vacuum switch assembly,' but who knows what they were thinking - it was the '80s... and AMC. The giveaway, besides having two ports and a noted nearby vacuum reservoir, is that it indicates one port is for 'adapt' and the other for 'idle/decel.' Cruise control terms. That, and there's literally nothing else on the diagram that could be it, lol. Though tbh, I'd have no idea which port is which, without existing vacuum hoses in place. I would assume the bigger diameter would also be the one with the reservoir.

The diagnostic connector is fascinating. It's basically like a datastream that you can check with a test light. Does this car even have a check engine light to count code flashes? I wonder if any of those wires are serial data. Possibly for factory use. Old Fords are like that, the diagnostic connector has a connection to count the pulses with a test light, but then there's a type of serial data that is - quote - 'for assembly line use.' Of course, you can use a scanner to talk to it.

I'm gathering from the highlighted wires in the bottom schematic, that the oil pressure switch is responsible for turning on the choke heater (I think that's what the 'electric choke' is) and manifold heater relay. And the other one is the tachometer and coil feed. I'm really confused about the coil though, because it looks like it's only given positive when the starter relay is active O_o

Also, I have no idea what the hell the O2 sensor is for. Going by the outputs of the computer, the only realistic thing that it could do is enable the air injection system, which makes sense, it just seems like a waste of an O2 sensor and a computer input.

On that 2nd diagram, on the left, there's a 'stepper motor' - which to me, sounds like an Idle Air Control valve - and it's probably that thing on the side of the carb that was unplugged, and has a 6 pin plug. The one in the pic. What gets me is - why does the 'sol-vac' valve exist, if there's an IAC valve? I'd read up on what in the hell the stepper motor is for. Maybe it'll mention something. It'd be awesome if it could change the mixture of the carb in realtime... but I'm just dreamin' here. :P

Last edited by MadMan; 10-16-2018 at 09:23 PM.