View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 04:58 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Once again you are speaking about something you personally know nothing about Tom. Your attitude seems to imply that you know my situation better than I do. That's nothing short of arrogant. I have lived in this house for 65 years, do you really think I don't understand the reception problems in my own home???
Bob you are being a paranoid jerk. I said probably because I can't know every blasted aspect of signal reception in every area nor was I trying to come across as pretending to do so. My comment was intended to be a mild hyperbole to illustrate relative RF sensitivity of DTV boxes not any sort of negative comment towards you, your system, or setup practices. I've lived close to TX towers before and not had multi-path/ghosting issues like you have. I'm sorry you and your neighbors building material choices were so poor and that previous posts I've made have bugged you. That last one was not intended to. You seriously need to mellow out, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
I have never been able to get decent tv reception, even back in the analog days because I actually live so close to the tower park that I am in the shadow of the towers. The signals are full of reflections due to aluminum siding on both my home and my neighbor's house who is between me and the towers.

Now for the real kicker. My house is aluminum sided and has a metal roof. The metal roof and aluminum siding attenuate signals to the point that I have to stand by a window to get 1 bar of signal strength on my cell phone. Cell phones are pretty much useless in my house.

1 mile NW of my house is another tower park where channel 12 and 58 broadcast from. I can't receive any of those signals at all due to the metal siding and roof. Currently my antenna is inside on the ceiling of the tv museum but I am considering relocating it to the outside to get a stronger signal without interference from the metal roof and siding.

I will take your word about the Magnavox box not having sensitivity as good as the Zenith. I have no experience with the Zenith boxes. However, in my situation the fact is that you can't get something from nothing. My Magie boxes work quite well if I connect only one box directly to the antenna. If I split the same minimal antenna signal, using a passive splutter, into 4 feeds to the converters, the signal drops too low to be of any use. Therefore a distribution amp is required.

The problem is not the Magnovox converter boxes, it is the Faraday Cage that I live in.
Yikes sounds like a mess. I'm surprised you doubled down with metal when you built the bunker (you probably had some valid reason) given the long standing signal issues...I'd have probably gone with a tile roof (like the original ones you still see on 20's hacienda style homes), and some type of non-metallic siding. Once again I'm sorry to hear you have an unusual multipath issue, but were it not for that my polite educated supposition would be accurate.

You need to stop trying to read so far into things looking for digs that don't exist....When I light into someone I try to make it VERY clear what I'm doing.

If you are going to insult me for NEUTRAL technical advice/Technological opinion then I shall refrain from responding to your future requests for such advice.

I was initially going to razz you in this post (you certainly asked for it by derogatorily referring to me as arrogant with NO real basis), but I'm not going to be goaded into stooping to that.

I'm going to let this slide, However...Future unprovoked attacks from you such as this quoted post will result in a ban of a duration commensurate with the severity of such future behavior. You have been warned.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4