View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The GE probably has the entire radio-on-a-chip design, like the Superadios.
The other one is probably a more conventional design. My vote would go for dried out electrolytics.
Well the GE uses 4 electrolytics so it should be fairly straight forward to replace them, the other one however is got 8 electrolytics and is kind of a complicated design, I think you might be right about the GE being designed like a Superadio as far as having the entire radio on a chip design because I saw a small chip inside the GE radio that was within the tuner section of the radio, and it seemed to be fairly sensitive when you could hear something on it. I know Superscope was a fairly high end manufacturer back in the day from what I read so the Superscope radio should be a fairly good performer as well once its repaired.

UPDATE: I replaced the electrolytics in the GE Radio and it still has garbled and distorted audio so I'm not quite sure what to do next, I'm hoping its not one of the output transistors because if it is then its probably not going to be worth my time to repair it because those output transistors are quite expensive.

Last edited by Captainclock; 04-28-2016 at 05:58 PM.