View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

waltchan, I also collect VCRs for some reason, and mainly the higher end Hi-Fi stuff just like you! I focus on the 1980's Hi-Fi VCRs, but do also have some 1990s ones.

There is 3 I would like to fix but don't know exactly whats wrong with them...

1. Hitachi made RCA with Hi-Fi but only 2 heads, has the brush type motor that drives the capstan and reels. It seems to be really confused, sometimes the buttons don't work at all and sometimes they are all mixed up i.e. you push play and it goes into rewind. I remember when I could get it to play it would have color interference on the screen that got worse and worse as it warmed up, and also the front clock display goes out at that point too, I believe its the power supply, but I don't know where to find another.

2. Akai that looks more like a tape deck, the loading motor doesn't respond to any commands however the motor is good.

3. NEC made Yamaha that I think needs new caps in the power supply or new power supply itself. When cold, interference patterns all over the screen, noisy Hi-Fi and only one channel works, after its warmed up it works fine!

I got some others like a JVC made Teac that keeps losing its right channel output, I need to learn how to fix these annoying electrical problems, I am good with the mechanics of VCRs...