View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
No vertical is usually the vertical IC and some capacitors connected to it. The caps cause the IC to run hot and fail. A sure sign caps are bad, once the IC is replaced is a foldover at the top of the screen.
I remember that I had to add to the heat sink to keep the IC alive. Apparently towards the end of that IC's popularity, seconds were being sold. I had the same trouble with Zenith power supply IC's when the sets with all the shorted CRTs came along. The seconds always ran HOT!
With those Sonys, the chip is rarely bad - it's usually 1) the 22uf/50V cap off the yoke return - it's open, and ESR will be >10 ohms or so 2) Solder connections at the chip itself 3) Bad 24V or 28V source feeding the chip 4) the 10uF boost-up cap, also in the vertical area.

With lightning strike sets, the chip will usually short, taking out the 24 or 28V source - replacing the chip fixes that, but you wouldn't have a picture with the chip shorted. Two different versions - the UPC1378 and the UPC1488 - you have the earlier, and the caps are usually the culprit.

OP, have you checked the solder on the chip, and the presence of the 24-28V source feeding the chip?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 08-22-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: 1378, not 1358
Audiokarma