View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I hope I will get me one. A Romanian one (possibly easier to find spare parts) or an (West)-German "Siemens" 2000.
O.k., you could get soundies, but they ever printed live concerts on 16 m.m. and then rented or sold films?
There were a few markets for 16mm,

1. Feature Movies - some small theaters used 16mm, especially the US Military, so a lot of feature films were released on 16mm. These were some of the last ones made

2. TV use - TV stations used 16mm for tv shows, advertising, etc. It's common to find censored or edited for TV movies on 16mm

3. Rental/Home use - this is where you have companies like castle films and Blackhawk films, which made a variety of stuff from soundies to short movies, to re-issues of old silent movies for people with home projectors

4. Institutional - Movies for the school market. Documentaries, some are pretty lame, others are less. Also in this category are travel films, and instructional movies for training within a company.

5. Illegal duplicates of Hollywood movies. These are where quality gets very bad, some people developed them in bath tubs, and the quality of the print shows it. This kind of stuff is often sold for too much money on eBay and turns out to be junk

6. Stag and bachelor party films - adult stuff - totally outdated and you don't really want to see this.

Colour films mostly age very badly, the colour all goes away and they come out as pink and red in the case of Eastman film, or purple in the case of Fuji. Eastman changed their formula in 1982, and this is called LPP film, which is basically the best out there, film that doesn't lose colour. Technicolor film stays good.

When you're buying used, any popular movies in colour are very very expensive. I mean $500 - thousands, for a popular movie with good colour. I sure don't have the money to get into that market.

Faded colour goes cheap, but it's mostly pointless.

For a collector on a budget, black and white is where it's at, and if you like content from the 30s - early 60s, even better.

Probably some live music was included in the above, but the most interesting stuff to my mind, is basically Hollywood movies.

Another issue is the acetate base of film tends to go bad over time. It starts off with an odor of vinegar, and ends up with a film that's all stuck together and won't play. This will eventually happen to almost all films, but proper storage can delay it for decades. One bad film can start to destroy the ones around it, so you have to be very careful. Temperature is a big factor too.