View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Old TVs are better!

Those Quasars, all solid state 1968 works in a drawer were quite advanced for it's time. Good idea, but there were a lot of problems with those small orange electrolytic's, and of course the contacts to the boards were always getting loose and dirty causing problems. Our neighbor next door had one of those and had it as their main TV for many years, and of course I repaired it several times. I think I changed out a couple of boards with rebuilt's, and I remember changing out small electrolytic's as well. Always had a good picture, but a few years before they gave up on it, the CRT was getting on the dull side. They bought an RCA console, (not sure what model, maybe something like a CTC168-CTC1##), which is still in use, on cable with a DVR, in which our neighbor still records her soaps and watches them on the console CRT RCA. Unfortunately the Quasar got junked, without me knowing about it years ago. Wish I could have got a hold of it back then. I remember it had a solid state HV rectifier in place of a 3A3, which never did go out.