View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Old TVs are better!

If degaussing doesn't help, then also check to see if the deflection yoke, purity rings, convergence triad or blue lateral ring hasn't come loose and/or moved. Yes, it could be just magnetized, so degauss it first and see if that helps. Your photo looks more like purity is off, not so much the convergence. As far as the picture being affected by the cable to the UHF tuner, it would only make a difference if you were receiving a UHF signal. Sometimes the problem is interference even if hooked directly to a converter box. With all of the digital units today, fluorescent bulbs, switch mode power supplies, cordless and cell phones, etc they can really mess up the picture. Most likely there is just twin antenna lead going from the screw terminals to the tuner, which can pick up all kinds of junk. In my shop area, I have a cordless drill charger, that if left plugged in, (even if the battery isn't charging) throws all kinds of streaks into a TV picture. I unplug it, the streaks are gone. (Try receiving AM radio stations with either of the 2 dimmer switches turned on in my house. Mostly solid 60hz buzz.) Also by the looks of your crosshatch photo, my guess is that the deflection yoke has slid back on the neck of the tube a little bit. Might just need to be pushed forward a little bit. Just don't over tighten the clamp that hold it in place.
Audiokarma