View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 11:04 PM
M is for Memory

Things were going well till they weren't...
So today I tried to fix the 4WD and rear window and had 2 very different results.

I suspected the front differential actuator was bad and when I tried to remove it it snapped in half leaving the threaded portion in the axle... This video shows how it should have gone if it didn't snap...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8zz3-dMjqLc

Not sure what to do about it now...part of me thinks I should heat the metal till the threaded portion of the old plastic actuator melts and peel the soft plastic out with a screwdriver driver but I'm worried it might damage the front diff/axle assembly. Is that a good move? Is there a better way? Should I just take it to a mechanic and let it be their problem?

I decided to replace the actuator after getting all 4 wheels off the ground on jack stands and running it. This was prompted by it behaving like the front wheels weren't receiving power in snow last winter.
With all 4 wheels off the ground in 4wd mode(s). The rear wheels and front drive shaft were spinning but the front wheels were dead still. The front drive shaft also spins in 2WD mode and I believe that the actuator disconnects the front wheels in 2WD mode.

The successful thing I did today was make my first visit to a junkyard to get a new rear lift window and install it. I went to the Milwaukee LKQ rip-a-part (atleast that seems to be what some folks are there for) and found a good rear window. I was looking for some other interior parts (like a spare OEM window regulator) but nothing seemed to be present or an improvement on what I had. I ended up exploring the truck and GM sections and a bit of the Japanese section... Would have liked to explore more but didn't want to waste too much time.
The new window needed a defroster contact resoldered to the glass but otherwise was in good shape and a pain free install....

Why replace the rear window you ask....well last winter I was using it as a heated lacquer drying room and wanted to air it out when I drove it so I drove a few miles with the rear window open and the passenger hinge broke off....it is factory glued to the glass and I decided (now that the weather is nice enough to fix it) that regluing would be less reliable than a good used part....now that annoying rear window air leak is fixed.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4