View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 06:30 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
Tom C., Too bad we don't live closer. We have almost identical Suburbans with two exceptions. Mine is RWD and has always lived in the South. I, too, have Flex Fuel which has the screwy fuel filter. I was lucky, I have a friend who is a professional mechanic and has all of the specialized tools. I had already bought two different tools trying to get the fuel filter off to no avail and finally borrowed the right tool. It's a Lisle 35000 Fuel Disconnect tool for GM. Amazon wants $15.99. Well worth it.

Before you try E-85, check the 12% Ethanol Rule. You will get 12% less mileage with Ethanol than with gasoline. If E-85 isn't at least 12% cheaper than gasoline, it won't be to your financial advantage.

I've also replaced the fuel pump, so I feel your pain. It's a bear to get that large (31 gal) fuel tank out, even with help.
Thanks for the info.
I've been basically using E85 or half a tank of it and half regular every fill up since independence day. For the worst parts of the ongoing gas spike there was close to a dollar a gallon difference here. I'm starting a new job soon and will be less worried about going Bankrupt on gas going forward, but you can bet I'll take advantage of E85 if the price difference is advantageous...Out here they pretty add 10-15% ethanol to all gas so for stuff NOT designed for ethanol there's no escaping it.

Since the old pump still worked albeit begrudgingly on less than 1/4 tank what I did to make the tank less strenuous to move was unhook the return line from the regulator on the engine (apparently half way through our generation of suburban they moved the regulator to the tank and eliminated the return line), from the return line clamp a piece of rubber hose over the regulator outlet and run it into a 5gal fuel can (I had a second identical can and a couple 1 gal tanks Incase 1/4 tank was more gals than expected), started the engine and let the truck drain its own tank mostly into the external fuel tanks. The internal tank is a LOT lighter bone dry. I did have to add 2-3 gals for on the ground leak testing so it's final reinstall was a bit heavier than removal.

It did once give a struggling start with the new pump. It probably has 2k miles on the new pump now. If it does it again I'll probably get that tool and swap my filter. Thanks for telling me about it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma