View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Adapting the 7053 to a 6BK4

I now have some idea about what “beam current” is and how the CRT checker measures it. The Beltron 808A instructions say that .85 mA is the minimum for an acceptable CRT. I assume that the Philco 7053 “weakest” reading would be similar to the Beltron’s minimum performance level. When I tested the 12LP4 previously with the Beltron, the reading was in the neighborhood of .45 mA. At the 7053’s “weakest” setting, the 12LP4 may be producing only half of the beam current needed to get the neon lamp glowing.

Of the three suggestions for checking the 7053 beam current test function, two are impractical. I’m not going to look for a working TV, and my multimeter’s limitations preclude a reliable current reading at the needed level.

The third suggestion was to test a 6BK4 in place of a CRT. I can get a 6BK4 and adapt the 7053’s Octal socket to its base. I thought that would be straightforward, but I am confused about the 7053 instructions.

The heater, grid, and cathode connections are straightforward, but which 7053 pin is used for the anode, and does it connect to the 6BK4 cap?
Audiokarma