View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Actually it's the Sony "Splash", not "Splashman".

They were sold retail, I bought my first one at American TV & Appliance in Madison, WI in the mid 1990's. Used it for about a week, then back into the box. Just a novelty, too small to really watch. Still have it.

Bought another one a few years back at a rummage sale just two blocks from my house.
I'm still confused about that, as I saw a magazine ad saying "Splashman", and yet other references to "splash". Trademark issue maybe? I remember also seeing the name "CD Splashman" in the early 90s or so, on a Canadian ad for what we called the "Sports CD Walkman" in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Yeah....not TERRIBLY rare. I saw one of those a couple years ago. I deffinately remember the inductive charging base. The one I saw was this same white, and I couldn't figure out why I'd want an LCD set that small. I do have a funny little green Sony "clamshell" style thing with a very small LCD like this.

Still a neat find though.....but maybe 50 bucks tops.
I'm happy with it at $200, although I wish I had the original box at that price. I know I've been accused of nutty-ness, when it comes to buying weird TVs and weird cars, but after all, I don't think $200 for that set is any further out of line than what others paid when there were a few Indextrons on eBay (or one which sold twice) for around $900-$1000, or $500 commonly for the fairly common Panasonic CT-101.

I have one of the greenish-clear clamshell sets, which is quite a bit newer than this one. Not sure if yours is the same, but mine's an FDL-250T.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 06-28-2013 at 11:02 AM.