View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 08:51 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Oh, still image on a tape. What could possibly go wrong? Just a stupid joke, sorry. But I wonder how they did recorded still image on a tape?
I knew that I've seen a page with M.D. cameras a few days ago, but didn't rember the adress of that page.
True the stuff with the connector. Paralel ports where slow and installing one on the camera would add size and weight. Well, the MiniDisc one had R.S.-232C port, because in the case of M.D.'s you needed a specail reader and probably not all where eager to spent money o an M.D. data reader.
According to this video, 'stills' taken on the Ruvi simply recorded five seconds worth of a video frame (with its associated audio) onto the internal tape cartridge, which could hold 350 of them (or 30 minutes of video). Not quite sure what they were thinking with the whole Ruvi concept, but that's Sony for you..........

My first working stand-alone digital camera, a Kodak DC3200, used a RS-232 connection by way of a funky cable (1/8" TRS plug on one end, DB-9 connector on the other) which I 'borrowed' from a broken Polaroid-branded camera I'd found earlier. Since none of my photo-capable computers were equipped with an old-style serial connector, I had to use it in conjunction with a serial-to-USB adapter cable. Somehow, this allowed for file transfer using the proprietary Kodak EasyShare software, though it was extremely slow going, and if I tried to transfer too many photos at a time, the program would crash. Given that my 256MB CompactFlash card (smallest I could get at the time) held several hundred of its ~1MP photos, I didn't transfer all of the photos I took with the DC3200 until I got a HP printer/scanner which had a built-in CF reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Could be the same drive, or could be completely different or almost the same except a different connector or mounting hole somewhere, no telling. If you can find a service manual for the '90 then the part number for the drive should be there.
I downloaded the service manual, and indeed, the FD90 uses a different drive mechanism (part number 1-772-563-11), so II dunno that it'd work. Might at least be able to use it as spare parts for the FD91, if worse comes to worse.

Anyway, with Comet Neowise said to be in the skies, I figured I'd attempt to take some photos of it down at the local beach during sunset using the FD91. I took some photos of what I thought was the comet, but I'm pretty sure it was just a disembodied portion of the nearby contrails. In any case, it took some pretty nice photos of the clouds, plus some wider shots of the sky, water and a large house across the lake. Here are the photos:

(alternate views here and here)

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors