View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I like that moto too. I briefly had one just like that and still have the older version with the knobs stacked (first 3-way that I adapted to modern batteries)...The older on came from a yard sale in Lombard Il. When I was around 10-12 years old I bought it from the kids of the original owner...Apparently, it was bought by a paperboy as his bicycle radio. Also got a Grunding so-205U console from that sale...It had a sad fate.
Good stories Tom. I too started collecting at about 12-13, and I too basically trashed those early sets. The were very inexpensive back then and when they stopped playing my father would say "you can't get the parts for those old sets anymore". One nice '48 GE was ruined when I sprayed Windex on the dial - need say more!

PS - I recently grabbed one more of these airplane-luggage battery-only portables - a 1939 RCA-Victor 94BP-1. When I saw how nice this original set was and how reasonably priced it was (working w/battery pack), it was a no-brainer to get it. That great little dial with the blue-background, small "little nipper" knobs, and nice brass plaque is just enough to make it attractive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 RCA Victor 94BP-1.jpg (65.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Celt; 12-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.