View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
A common issue on VM changers is shutting off beforre the last record plays., or shutting off when trying to play a single record. There is a delay tab on the slide that delays shutoff after the overarm drops down when the last record drops. That often gets sticky, and the the last record in the stack wont play. Any changer wont work reliably until you get ALL old hardened sticly lubicants out of it. With most changers you really cant clean them adequately without taking a lot of stuff apart.
Either that or your overam is bent so it sits too low.
The overarm (record stabilizer) was good on both units and all types of records, even stacked in multiples, consistently did the same thing.
What ultimately fixed it WAS tweaking the trip lever (lays on top of the slide) that fixed it.

Don't underestimate how many issues this thin piece of aluminum can cause when it is ever so slightly bent or gummed up as usual.
As the changer was operated repeatedly into the wee hours, I noticed how the slide and trip lever moved in unison as tonearm set down on the record lead-in groove. It was this movement that caused the tab on the trip lever to just catch the on-off lever when going by it.
Operating the working Motorola changer, I saw that the trip lever was bent down slightly at the end toward the power switch, so I did the same thing to this Philco.

This is not the end of this thread though, I have four more V-Ms to work on

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-27-2015 at 12:36 PM.