View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
The trans was rebuilt? By who? Might be past warranty by now, but still, ask them wtf happened.

No forward... did it ever work after the rebuild? Because if it did and you drove it, I'd be tempted to say it might have chewed up a band or something. I'd have to look up the chart to see what's on when it's in drive. I assume you've tried moving it in 1 and 2. Smell the oil, it shouldn't smell burned if the unit was just rebuilt. If the fluid is still clean and fresh, it might be something simple like a stuck valve. Especially makes sense on a project car that probably sits around and never gets driven.

If the oil still seems fresh, and the car can run good enough, start it and let it run for an hour to get the trans nice and warm, see then if it'll engage.

Let me know a little more and I'll see what I can come up with. It's not easy when I'm not there to see it. :/
Trans was rebuilt about 20 years ago by a friend of the former owner. Said it pulled hard after the rebuild, but eventually lost all forward gears...it was driven for only a couple hundred miles after the rebuild and started to slip in the end. Reverse was fine.

I got a bunch of parts "left over" from the rebuild still in the kit box.....and dropping the pan and valve body tell the rest of the story. To make it "pull hard", all the guy did was remove a couple check balls. I was hoping to find some particulate in the pan or a clogged passage in the valve body that would tell me that something let loose. Nothing. Bands looked fine from what I could tell.

Since it worked in reverse we know that the front pump and TC are okay. I've rebuilt a TH350 before, but I was 10 years younger and I'm not yanking the thing on my back like I used to do.....I'd just send it to a tranny shop for repair.