View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 11:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Vista is, was, and always has been crap. You should look for a cheap install disc for Win 7 or 10 (10 don't like some older video cards though). Win 98 is fossilized dinosaur crap....We had 98 with dial up into ~2006, it was slower than the second coming!...Almost every step in getting that turkey online (and many other things) would take long enough that ya might as well make a sandwich and eat it while you wait....If there are internet connected computers in hell, then they are running 98 with dial up.
I have a comic strip (B. C.) from an old newspaper which shows one of the characters looking at some turkeys going "gobblegobblegobbleGOOGLEgobble..." The character immediately exclaimed, "Turkeys got search engines!" I liked that comic strip so much I saved it, and still have it to this day. I have another comic strip (Ziggy) I saved from another newspaper some years ago, in which Ziggy was visited by a couple of Martians. One of them looked at Ziggy and promptly said, "Talk about a primitive planet! This poor shlub still has dial-up!" This strip is taped directly below the B. C. strip I just mentioned. Both strips are mounted on the inside of a door covering a small cabinet above my desk.

BTW, I never knew Windows Vista was as bad as you say it is. I have never used that particular operating system (and never will at this point in my life), although I did use Windows 95 and 98 for a long time.

I gave up on all Windows computer OSes several years ago and did not look back. I now use Ubtuntu 18.04 LTS with my Dell OptiPlex 755 computer. Works great with almost every program I've tried it with. I say "almost" because there is one amateur radio related program (the terminal program for packet radio) I used under Windows; however, it simply will not work under Ubuntu, no matter how I try to get it to operate. This is no loss to me, though, since I had to give up most of my ham radio stuff in 1999 when I moved from a three-bedroom house with a basement to a one-bedroom apartment. My current amateur radio activity is on 2-meter FM (I am a member of a local radio club which has a repeater, N8BC/R, so I am not totally off the air), but I have yet to figure out a way to connect my Icom IC-T22A handheld to my computer. I'm sure there is a way to do just that, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

Oh, well. One of these days . . .

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-07-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Audiokarma