View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow it has been a long time. been busy, work etc. Inx64, those are interesting graphics from the PC. How did the PC make those?

What I found out is that the best EM deflection result with low voltage solid state amps is going to be a rewound yoke with relatively few turns of heavy wire. High current low voltage is easier for solid state. The military yoke looks like 10-20 turns, and the current on that was about 10A.

For those looking to the tube diagrams, OK those yokes have thousands of turns, just beware the challenge of lots of turns and high voltages against the wire insulation.

I am working with an additional person/company now to help put forward the scope-clock hobby. The other party has been doing most all of the work and it has been with electrostatic CRTs. I am trying to help by working with electromagnetics and going to help them to work with that technology. So, I started with the O-clock and this showed me the bandwidth needed, approximately. It'll work if the bandwidth is high enough. 60KHz minimum, is hard for a deflection coil using a reasonable amplifier that hobbyists can make.

Based on previously designed vector displays, it looks like the method of drawing that is best for EM deflection is incompatible with the way the sparkfun clock works. The vectors must all have no more than a certain di/dt, otherwise the amplifier will have to make excessive voltage in order to reposition the spot at extremes, and there may be overshoot or ringing as a result. Controlling overshoot and ringing caused by too-small di/dt puts even more stress on the amplifier as it must 'eat' that energy.

No Kowtow