View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 PM
RCA 741PCS

Here's the cabinet back together. I removed the rust from the legs which also took off any remaining trace of the brass plating so they look like bare steel now.

A few years ago I picked up a Caswell brass plating kit and also one from AES. Might as well give them a try...

First up, the Caswell kit. This is a brush system where you dip a positive "wand" into a plating solution and rub it against a negative item to be plated.
Rather than use the little wall wart power supply it came with, I'm using an HP bench supply with voltage and current limiting set to about 12 volts and 1/2 amp.

Just as when I've used it before, the results look dark and irregular. Buffing will take care of that.

Hmm. After a few passes it barely has any brass color.

Time to try the stuff from AES. Wow! This stuff is great! It immediately turns a lovely gold/brass color.

Must be the Potassium Cyanide

Here are the final results after a few passes and polishing. Note that after remove the rust, the metal has lots of little pits which I did not attempt to grind out. Even so, I think they look 100% better.

I sprayed them with a light coat of clear lacquer and mounted on the cabinet.

Finally, here's a preview of the assembled set minus the CRT. I'm waiting on some new tubes from ESRC then I'll perform an alignment and put it all together.

Last edited by bandersen; 05-09-2014 at 11:10 AM.