View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
AFAIK it's only used in high power RF transistors and tubes. Unless you're a radio amateur the only device in that class you might find in a home is the magnetron in a microwave oven. I don't think that these contain beryllium oxide. There will be a very clear warning label on the device if it does.

I've had the odd nasty shock from electronics kit but only one that might have been lethal. I was troubleshooting a 'scope and measuring the EHT on the CRT cathode. About -1.2kV DC. The insulation of the probe wasn't good enough and I got a belt. It hurt. A lot. Mainly due to violent muscle contraction, my arm ached for a couple of days. Fortunately I was also thrown clear by the muscle spasm. That EHT was derived from a mains transformer so there would have been plenty of current available to kill me.

By contrast when 25kV EHT from a Barco monitor jumped out and bit me it was like a bad insect sting. More current available than on a domestic TV but still nowhere near enough to be dangerous. The only real hazard was mechanical. I might have jumped back and hit my head on something.
RCA referred to their post war design TV's as having a "reduced hazard" high voltage supply, which is a low current HV source, using a flyback instead of a high voltage mains transformer.
The main item, that I have a lot of respect for is the power supply in a microwave oven. The transformer in those puts out over 1000 volts at around an amp. Enough to be fatal.