View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
There are lots more versions than than those, i.e the first version of 95 which couldn't use the FAT32 file system, 95A which had the same problem, then 95 OSR2, 2.1 and 2.5 which were only available to OEMs. The first release of 98 wasn't much more than 95 OSR2.5 made available in a retail package; USB support was still pretty dodgy. This was corrected for 98SE. I guess versions older than 3.1 were not very widely used. I used to have Windows 3.0 on 5.25" floppies, installed it just for kicks but never really used it. I just remembered there were several versions of NT as well, XP basically being one of them released a few years too late. Considering what just happened to 10, I'm glad I'm still on 7 Pro.
You both missed WIN Me - Millenium Edition, 98 with "media center" and messenger enabled all the freaking time. Shipped with minimum memory, they bogged down with anything beyond Adobe Acrobat reader installed. Even at 512MB, the OS bogged down. Blue screens were common as well - I never had it, but a dear friend (who's husband WON the computer and WinME) had it, and I was their guru. Wipe the IE and AOL cache for them and it worked okay for a while....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!