View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Motorola Minion

Buffalo-Toronto Antenna Special

One area of which I am slightly intrigued is western NY. With access to Canadian stations (we only get AM DX from Canada this far south).

Check out this advertisement for a antenna retailer, selling "kits" direct to consumers.
I estimate this is from the early 1960's. The only UHF mentioned is channel 17, a PBS channel.
Notice that Hamilton is incorrectly shown west of Toronto.

Buffalo Antenna.pdf

I also have one from Reading, PA for a Finco "area special" had a 3-6-10 broadband for Philly with an "8-bar" little Yagi antenna so you did not need a rotor just to get the one other VHF channel 8 clear, from the other direction.
This was a rather pedestrian setup getting just the three networks (two are NBC), lacking equipment to get the elusive three Philly UHFs that went on the air in 1965.
For that, Barbey Electronics sold the Finco 4-bay bowtie or JFD 4-bay bowtie (stacked co-linear arrays & vertically-oriented screens). You could always tell the JFD because it had the bowtie halves closed, not cut and heart-shaped. The corner reflectors seemed more suited to open areas with fewer tree obstacles, providing less wavefront capture, but slightly higher gain.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-03-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: JFD