View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

European live chassis set

Hello!

O.k. it seems there is some confusion about european sets with live chassis. The reason for european set with live chassis is easy:
Here in Vienna for example some districts had DC mains voltages others had AC back in these days. In Germany the situation was not much different. BTW: Max Grundig started rewinding burnt out power transformers which were connected to DC after the owner moved from a city with AC mains to another city with DC.
I own 2 sets from 1936 which are both universal sets with live chassis. On the photos of the backpanel of one set you can see how many line voltages can be selected to solve this chaos. In this case the universal set was more expensive than the transformer set with parallel heaters. Otherwise collectors usually prefer pure AC sets without live chassis. This causes that sets with live chassis were parted out to save and repair the AC sets. I guess a set with a live chassis is now much rarer because of this fact.
To make confusion perfect: I own a Radio from 1954 that has E tubes and a power transformer only for the heaters but a live chassis.

Greetings Josef
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2556.jpg (79.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2554.jpg (78.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.jpg (100.7 KB, 22 views)