View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Please stop stating things as fact , when in reality you are wrong . The Grundig radio I pictured in my earlier post does indeed have a voltage selector switch , and no power transformer , and IS able to operate from AC or DC power ! It uses a very large , tapped ceramic resistor which the voltage selector switch chooses the appropriate tap from depending on which voltage it selected .

Just so you know , I'm NOT looking to argue here , but I just can't let inaccuracies such as you have printed remain unchallenged . You say you have been at this for 15 or so years , and you seem to think you've seen all there is to see in our hobby . Well , at somewhat over retirement age , and having worked back in the 1960s and 1970s in TV / radio repair , I can with all certainty tell you there is a LOT you haven't seen yet , and that the learning is supposed to be part of the fun of the hobby .
Maybe not but Some people on here are looking to start an arguement, and anyways when I said that stuff I wasn't trying to start an arguement, I have seen quite a few different styles of old tube radios over the years (and thankfully I haven't ever came across a "curtain-burner" type radio) most of the radios I've ever come across were cold chassis type radios with the exception of a small handful of small 1950s and early 1960s vintage "AA5" designed radios that were either Bakelite or wood which are a lot safer to use than the old 1930s vintage "AA5" radios (yes I did know that the "AA5" design for tube radios dated back to the 1930s but I just forgot because I have heard of the "curtain-burner" cords that they used on them before but I just forgot that they were used on hot chassis radios from that time period), and I knew that at least in America we had "universal" as you call them (AC/DC As we called them here in America) but I didn't realize they had such a thing in Europe because I would of figured that such a design would of been considered too unsafe for them over there and that they would of preferred a cold chassis design over a hot chassis design for safety reasons (which like I said is more than likely why they didn't use the AC/DC hot chassis design for very long in their radios). And also usually (at least here in America anyways) if you had a cold chassis designed radio it was usually considered more high end than a hot chassis designed radio so really I would think that this would of applied to European radios as well, which would mean that any of those European radios you have that are "hot chassis" designed are more than likely BOTL models that they were probably cutting corners on.