View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

That was a wise thing to do. Some of these stories amaze me...unsafe products are an unfortunate reality.

I told this story on the A.K. site but I'll tell it again here. Growing up, my father had a fair amount of stereo gear set up around the house. 2 systems. Anyway, the garage/workshop system was based around a Carver 'The Receiver' (the one with sonic holography or something). Well, his unit must've had a fault somewhere because I was barefoot in the shed and the volume knob gave me quite a jolt. All metal knobs, which explains it...and why I should wear shoes out there .! I was like 13 at the time BTW.

Re: Our goodies lasting 40-80 yrs.: The way I see it, vintage color TVs are still around because their big-ticket item, the CRT, is often of high quality & can endure countless hours of operation. IMO, the reason why N.O.S. audio tubes(USA) are worth big$$ is because they were/are mostly a high quality product.

From experience, I have 'fixed' many many sets by replacing about 10 bucks worth of parts and putting in the labor. They usually stay good after that