View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
M is for Memory

I'm surprised that you think that Zenith cateracts are a pain to remove. I just warmed mine in the sun and dragged a wire through the glue....After a slow start I got the hang of it quickly and it was easy then on. The only thing that I found annoying was that the center of the glue on two of the three tubes I did was hard and didn't want to come off.

I did three tubes an older roundy which did not give me any troubles peeling off the thick layer of glue, a 1967 vintage rectangular that had about a 2X6" patch of stubborn glue, and a 1971 23V CRT that had a 17" diagonal rectangle of stubborn glue.

The roundy, after peeling off the thick layer by hand, was a snap. All else I had to do was poor some Goof Off (this stuff does a REALLY good job breaking down Zenith type PVA even the little balls that the hand peel off missed) on it and rub down with paper towels 2-3 times before the final Windex rubdown for a mirror shine.

The rectangulars with stubborn glue on the safety glass I poured Goof off so that it pooled over the PVA and let it sit to soften it I then ground away at it my finger nails (not all that fun) untill the primary layer was gone. Resoaking it each time grinding became less managable. This was a bit annoying on the 67', and very annoying on the 71'. I could have skipped all that grinding by not reusing the removed safety glass if I wanted, but I chose to continue using the glass.

What was you experience, and why did it sour you?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4